Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Particulars on being Particular

As I mentioned the other day, I participated in the kitchen’s remodel by choosing the tile and being the gofer girl, and fussing. I mention this, because mostly I looked the other way until it was too late. I highly recommend being more proactive, and ahead of the game. Anticipate how things will be done. If they are installing cupboards for you, walk through it ahead of time and discuss with them the direction the doors are going to open. A guy is going to hang cupboards in this fashion: the way he picks it up when it’s time to install that cupboard is going to be the way that cupboard is going to hang. In some cases there is only one way it can go, but sometimes they can go either way, and one way is going to be more convenient to you as you cook in the kitchen. That will NOT be the way it will go if left to chance (and Murphy’s Law).

The ones who usually do remodeling and installation are men, who are not usually the ones who use kitchens in the same way women do. They just grab and go. Women constantly work in the kitchen and do the same things over and over. There is a flow to what we do, and things that are installed “backwards” break up that flow, and cause a constant interruption to the process of cooking. If a man could see this as the same as a break in the flow to his golf swing, or his basketball game, maybe he would sympathize. But instead they perceive women as being fussy and obsessed about detail. Whatever.

I didn’t think fast enough, and left way too much to chance. Partly as a feature of being in a hurry, being distracted, and not being a terribly detail oriented person. So I let a lot go. But NEXT time, I’ll know that you need to think your whole kitchen through on paper, visualize and virtualize every aspect of your motion and flow of activity. Decide which way you want cupboards to open, how far you want counter edges to stick out, how many steps you want to take to reach your island–everything!  

Speaking of an island, I felt like my little kitchen was too small for an island, so I bought a rolling cart with a butcher block top. This was perfect! I put a wastebasket under the butcher block, and I could have it with me at the sink, then take it over to the stove, then put it away under the edge of the counter. I had my son extend the end of the bar counter so that most of the cart was under that. This was so handy, and became my right hand. I spent extra money getting a butcher block top cart. I needn’t have bothered. Any cart would do, and then you can set a wooden chopping board on top of it, which easily removes to the sink for cleaning.

Anyhow, what I’m saying is think ahead. As Stephen Covey says, “Begin with the End in Mind.” Or, learn to live with it.

Joy in the Journey

No comments: